Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Norsk Class and Silly Norwegian Laws

Today was my first Norwegian class.  It was mostly review, but I did learn some new things.  And more wierd language quirks- you live "in" a street and "on" a city (but not always).  You also live "on" a castle, not in one.  

I just got a crash course in Norwegian Tax Law.  My goodness, it makes no sense.

So, I make too little to pay any tax on my earnings, but the family still has to take 5% out and send to the goverment.  Even though I'll get it all back next fall.  You don't get to choose your withholdings.  And the government has to pay you back with interest.  The best interest rate in the country no less.  

So I guess it's good you don't get to choose your withholdings, because everyone would have everything they earned withheld.  Why not, if you get paid back with good interest?

And they tax everything here:

*An advantage tax for owning a home.  Not property taxes, those are seperate.  This is a tax, just because you have the advantage of living in your own home.

*Company parking spaces.  Does your company have a parking lot for you?  You get taxed for that if you own a car.  It's an advantage to be able to park your car in a company parking lot.

*Food your company provides.  You get taxed on any food your company serves you.  Even if you can't leave the job site.  Even if you can't leave the job site because you are in the middle of the sea. 

Apparently the running joke here is that Norway is the last Communist state.  

No comments: