Wednesday, September 3, 2008

More Construction Fun and Magnus's Bad Day

Today we have water, but no sewage.  I hope this situation changes soon.  Otherwise I'm afraid I'll get up in the middle of the night and forget to not flush the toilet.  That would be an unpleasant mess.

The two boys are cranky today.  Matthias was upset that handball was at the same time as his diving lessons so he'd have to choose one or the other.  He spent his homework time crying even though the rule is he does his homework first, then he can go to his other activities.  Then he had to cry about that.  In the end, he decided on handball.  He was a half hour late because of his homework.

I think Magnus is sick like I am.  His good morning mood quickly darkened when it was time to go to play group.  He refused to leave unless his mom came, so both Linda and I took Magnus to play group.  Once there, he stuck close by his mom's side so she couldn't leave.  Linda thinks this is because she took him to kindergarten in the morning yesterday, but she had left for work by the time he came home.  

After a lunch battle (we'll never use the same box for both our sandwiches again) Magnus felt confident enough to explore outside on his own.  Linda told him she would be leaving to pick up Aurora and he was fine.  He spent the next several hours making "ookelade" mud cakes and icecream and carting them around the playground on his tricyle to give to other kids and parents.  

We had a few tense moments when I had to take him away from his fun to go to the bathroom, but everything else went well until about 2 pm.  That's when he asked where his mom was, and actually waited around for an answer.  When he was told that his mom was back home, his stormy mood started again.  He was supposed to leave play group between 2 and 2:30 anyway, so I decided to leave sooner rather than later.  Everything involved tears after that.  He cried as he went to the bathroom one last time.  He cried as I put his shoes and backpack on.  He cried when he pushed open the door and fell.  He sniffled as he said "ha det" to his friends and teachers.  I was finally able to distract him by getting him to look for bilberries to eat.  

Of course it couldn't be over that easily.  A little further down the path he stopped to pick up an ant.  He hasn't quite learned that ants bite, and I wasn't fast enough to save him.  The ant bit his finger, and now there was no settling him down.  He cried the rest of the way through the forrest and into the house.

The storm continued of course.  He was angry that he couldn't have crackers, or anything else from the cupboard (he did have a sandwich).  Next, I hear Magnus shrieking upstairs.  He was angry that his big sis spoiled his fun.  Magnus was putting toothpaste on his baby doll and using Aurora's tooth brush on it.  Aurora, the good big sis, took the doll and toothpaste away and started washing the doll.  I picked up Magnus and took him downstairs.  

Once downstairs, he was back in the cupboard again.  This time succeeding in getting some crackers.  I tried unsuccessfully to negotiate a trade, the crackers for half of his sandwich.  Magnus successfully got both from me, mostly because I just wanted a moment of peace.  Negotiating with a 2-year-old is never a good idea, however.  He was soon back in the cupboard for more crackers.  This time, two fists full.  I took away the crackers this time, and told him no.  This started the crying again.  Aurora helped me explain to him that dinner was very soon, we would eat then.  Luckily, mom came home soon after, and he was instantly calm.

I'm up in my room now preparing for an early bed.  I think I have a bit of a fever.  Tomorrow is a day off and I plan to go into town and try not to get lost.

No comments: