Friday, September 5, 2008

The Many Moods of Magnus

Magnus was afraid of me again this morning.  I think Magnus has figured out that when he's with me, his parents sometimes leave.  This makes our relationship rather interesting.  Sometimes he wants to play with me, other times he runs from me screaming.

Last night, I gave him a bath and put him to bed.  He asked a few times for his mom, but he wasn't overly upset by her absence.  I was able to distract him before any clouds burst.  Thankfully, Magnus will go straight to sleep when put in his bed, so there were no crying fits in the night.

This morning, Linda wanted me to get Magnus ready for play group.  Magnus refused to go anywhere without his dad.  With much coaxing he let me dress him, but he refused to look at me.  I tried to give him a sticker, and he angrily refused it.  But he soon decided it would look nice on his backpack.  We then made peace by playing with his Eyore doll.  He stuck close to his dad until he was having so much fun he forgot he didn't like me.

Linda came with me to play group after she returned home.  There was no way Magnus would go peacefully without her.  Linda stayed almost the entire time.  Magnus would sometimes play with me, and sometimes run from me.  We ate lunch together with relatively few hiccups.  He wouldn't talk to me, but he'd listen to me.  

We walked home together alone.  Magnus ignored me for a bit, but quickly warmed when I asked him to look for blueberries, mushrooms, and hop down the path.  By the end of the walk we were holding hands and he was excitedly talking to me.  

The rest of the day has been the same off and on behavior.  He has been a little sick these past few days, I'm sure that doesn't help.

No comments: