Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Day Off And First Solo Outing

I spent the day exploring the city of Tønsberg.  The original plan was to attempt a bike ride into town.  It's about a 2.75 mile/15 minute ride with several twists and turns.  Despite my best efforts to memorize the streets and landmarks, I was a bit nervous about making the trek alone.  Luckily the torrential rain put a stop to that idea.  

Instead, I took the bus.  The bus is about $5 per trip here, but when you compare it to the cost of driving, it's really not that expensive.  The bus system is easy to navigate from my part of town.  One bus will take me to the mall in the middle of the city.  The bus drivers here will also make change, which is very convenient.

The shopping mall here isn't laid out quite as nicely as the malls I've been to in the US.  There's many twists and turns and a skybridge that's only on certain floors.  There's two grocery stores inside the mall, along with two convenience stores.  One would think that was a bit of overkill, but I guess not.  

In Norway, it's best to avoid shopping at a convenience store.  Everything in a convenience store almost double the price of a regular store.  A 16 oz soda, for example, is $2.30 in a grocery store.  That same soda will cost you $4.30 in a 7-11.

The rain stopped for a bit during my trip, so I was able to wander around the city and take some pictures.

No comments: