Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Brain Functions Again

The baby has been having 4-5 nightmares a night, which means I wake up every two hours or so.  Luckily, he's quick to go back to sleep.  He just needs to know someone is there.

The oven...

It's Saturday morning, all the kids seem to be quietly doing their thing.  The oldest is on the computer and the younger two are watching cartoons upstairs.  I think I'm safe to sneak away for a shower.  Finally.  

I'm about halfway through shaving my legs when I hear angry shrieking from the kitchen.  Oh, no.  I wrap a towel around me and poke my head out.  The first thing I see is the 5 year old and the baby with their arms cocked to slap eachother.

I tell them they better not hit eachother, that I better not have to go out there and break up the fight in a towel.  Advice they summarily ignore.  So, taking a page from my mom's book of "How To Let Kids Know They've Really Done It"  I march out in my towel, still dripping wet to break up the fight.  Aurora gets quiet very quickly.  The baby puts up a little bit of a fight when I take him off his stool and put him on the ground and take the thing they were fighting over, but he quickly follows his sister's lead. 

That's when I notice the baby was protecting a frozen roll.  Then I notice the oven is open.  And on.  With other rolls inside.  They decided to cook themselves breakfast.  I put the frozen roll in the oven and close it.  

I return to the bathroom to quickly dress so I can have a calm conversation with the two kids about what they can and can't use without adult supervision.  I make sure to remind Aurora that he little brother mimics her, so she needs to be careful what she teaches him.  If he sees her using the oven, he might think it's okay for him to use the oven as well.  

No comments: