Thursday, September 4, 2008

More Norwegian Food

This is another of my favorite Norwegian foods.  It's Reindeer sausage.  I don't know why it's blueish purple,  I've had reindeer steak and it certainly wasn't that color.  Given that it's sausage it's probably best that I don't look too hard for an answer.  

In Norway it's important to make sure "hest" isn't an ingredient in your sausage.  "Hest" is horse meat and is a common sausage ingredient. 

Strangely enough, the U.S. has one of the largest taboos against eating horse meat, yet the US has a fairly large horse meat export business.

This next picture is another common Norwegian breakfast/snack item.  It's liver paste made from pig liver.  It's actually pretty tasty.  It has a very mild taste, and doesn't taste like pork at all.  This is the first thing children eat on their bread here.  They've even got a brand called "my first liver paste."

With a toddler's daily iron requirements, them liking liver is a godsend.  

Babies love it.

Kids love it.

I love it too.

No comments: