Monday, January 19, 2009

Perogie

Despite my best efforts, I was unable to find duck's blood soup in Poland. So my new food in Poland was fairly tame.

Perogie are similar to Ravioli, but stuffed a bit more full and pan fried. They have a variety of fillings, my personal favorite was the Russian style with cottage cheese and potatoes inside. I also had perogi filled with bacon and potato, and mushroom and cabbage. There's also a sweet variety of perogi in Poland that have fruit fillings, but I never located any to try.

The other interesting thing I tried in Poland was warm, spiced wine. It was a wonderful treat on those bitterly cold days. It's sweeter than coffee but not as sweet as hot chocolate. The wine has been boiled, so there's nearly no alcohol in it. The tastes that are left are just the tartness of the grapes, the other fruits and the spices.

No comments: