Friday, January 2, 2009

Budapest Day 4: House of Terror

The House of Terror at 60 Andrassy Utca is a museum that is located in the building that was home to the Hungarian Nazis then to the communist secret police. It was here that I first realized how horrible the crimes of communism were.

Comparatively, the Nazi crimes in that building were minimal compared to the communist's crimes. A prisoner of the Nazi's interred in Andrazzy Utca, for example, didn't have to worry about having his air supply shut off because the guard on duty was bored and in a sadistic mood. The reconstructed Nazi detention cells were lavish compared to the communist's sub-terrainian dungeons. Also, during the Soviet's time in the building, one never knew when he'd go from being an employee to prisoner. Even the highest ranking officials weren't immune to one day being led down to the dark cells they helped construct, tortured by methods they had approved, and finally hanged in the Soviet's own unique way. It was really shocking to see that the crimes of the communists were comparable to the crimes of the Nazis in this country. While the Nazi's were nothing if not pure evil, the communists brought their brand of terror to this country.

After the museum, I noticed my feeling was slowly returning to my mouth so I stopped into McDonald's for a quick meal, then I returned to Kata's.

First she took me to Tesco. I literally wanted to drop to my knees and rejoice at the selection! Tesco is basically the European version of Wal-Mart. One stop shopping! I can buy clothes, toothbrushes, and food all in one store! Toothbrushes for $1! Real anti-perspirent! Socks! Kat watched my revelry with quiet amusement. I laughed at the irony that a post-communist country had more selection than the happy and free land of Norwegians.

After this pilgrimage, we went back to her flat for another night of long conversations and plenty of tea.

No comments: