Thursday, October 9, 2008

You Too Can Have UHC!

My experience with universal healthcare thus far:

This is similar to an HMO, where you have a PCP that can't be easily changed.  I chose mine because she was the only female PCP and you don't have the option of seeing a seperate GYN for your female needs.  

I chose poorly.  

I've been needing to see a doctor since I got here.  I had to wait until Oct 1st for my docotr to be assigned.  That's irritating, but understandable.  Now that I have a PCP, one would think that I have access to healthcare.  

Last week:  Office was out all week.  It was fall vacation here, and Norwegians do take their vactation time seriously.  So whatever.  I can accept that.  

This week:  Monday:  Found out the hard way that there's very limited call in times.  The phones are on from 9:00 to 11:00 and 12:15 to 1:30.  Missed both windows.

Tuesday:  Held the line for an hour.  Finally gave up when I had to pick the kids up from school.

Wednesday:  Joy!  I got a hold of a real person!  They can even fit me in today.  Bad news is, I can't actually come in today.  I need an appointment for Thursday.  Can I make an appointment for tomorrow?  No.  I have to call back tomorrow if I want an appointment tomorrow.  Wat.

Thursday:  Only 28 min on hold.  But they're not sure if they can get me in to the doctor today.  Apparently my doctor only works 2-3 days a week so she's quite busy when she's  in.  Would have been nice to know this before I chose this doctor.  

So now I'm waiting for a return call from the nurse to see if I can be squeezed in.  Of course, I'm not holding my breath.  PCP docs get paid when you're well, not for office visits (ala HMO).

It's also $60/visit.  And I'll be paying more for my perscriptions here that I paid in the US with no insurance.

UPDATE:  So the doctor's office did call me back.  And it's urgent care or the ER for me.  Good times.  I did schedule an appt for 10/24, the soonest I could get in.  I've heard that the wait at urgent care or the ER is 4 hours minimum.  Urgent care opens at 2.  I think I'm going to go there at 1:30 and stand outside the door until they open.  

No comments: