Monday, December 8, 2008

Budapest day 2- Castle Hill Walk with Boro


Boro and I decided on a walk around the city. She wanted to take me to Castle Hill. It's a touristy part of Budapest, but she said she also enjoys it. After seeing it, I understand why.


Castle Hill is surreal. It's like walking around in a movie. I don't know how else to describe the place. From the cobblestone streets to the Baroque architecture mixed with Art Nouveau, the place doesn't feel like it should exist.



She told me what she knew of the history of the city, and patiently fielded my endless questions about every interesting nook and cranny I happened across. She also shared with me her observations of cultural differences. She noted that German tourists are only interested in taking pictures of the famous landmarks and Japanese tourists mainly take pictures of themselves. I asked her what Americans take pictures of, and she said I was the first American she's shown around so she's not sure yet.

She also told me of one of the more interesting traditions in Budapest. Every year the university students must polish the balls on a bronze statue of a horse and rider. The student with the highest greades goes first, then the person with the next highest grades, ect.

After that, we walked over to Fisherman's Bastion. Absolutely beautiful and it's probably one of the best lookout points in Buda.



One of the interesting things Boro pointed out at these land marks was the small brass representations of the monuments. This is for blind people, so they can still experience these historic sites.

While we were up there, she took me to the Marzipan Museum. It's actually more interesting than it sounds. Hungarians are very creative with this confection.

Below Fisherman's Bastion is a park. Again I got a feeling of "this place just can't be real."


Keep in mind, this is winter. There's been several snow storms since I've arrived.

That sculpture is a depiction of characters from a Hungarial Fable. Boro tried to remember the name, but couldn't.

Out of the parks, she next led me up to the Mary Magdalene Tower.


This church was destoryed during an air raid in WWII. The remanents and reconstruction are left as a memorial.

After that tour, Boro took me on a wild bus ride to Deak Square in Pest. She was going to have to be going to class shortly, and she wanted to drop me off somewhere interesting. We said our farewells at the subway station at Deak.

It was an akward parting since Hungarians seem to say goodbye differently than Americans. I said my thanks and goodbye, yet she still stood there. I realized there was some social ritual I was missing, so I offered my hand for a handshake. I didn't know how she'd feel about a near stranger suddenly hugging her or if that was even what she was waiting for. She took my hand but still stood there, now starting to feel akward herself. I lightheartedly joked that Americans must not know the proper way to say goodbye. She laughed and waved goodbye as she left for the subway.

No comments: