Wednesday, August 19, 2009

4/18/09- Ivano-Frankivsk and the Carpathians


The train ride alone has made this trip totally worth while. I can't even begin to describe the beauty of the countryside. There's farmland, there's marshes, there's valleys all with silver and gold- topped Orthodox churches dotting the landscape. I tried to take pictures out of the train window, but most didn't turn out. I also caught my first glimpse of the Carpathian mountains. Mountains I've wanted to see since reading Dracula for the first time.

I met Klaudia at the train station, and after dropping my things at her flat we went to the Ukrainian market.

Rabbits with fur only on one foot (to prove they were rabbits? to show they were healthy?), chickens that were beginning to mummify, and quartered pig heads were all on display.

After the market we wandered around the downtown area before boarding the bus to Yaremche.

No comments: